The leisure, travel and tourism industry is one of the fastest growing industries in the world. It covers a whole spectrum of activities, from visiting a tourist attraction and going to a health club to eating in a restaurant or travelling abroad.
Key Stage 4
At Glenlola Collegiate undertaking the GCSE in Leisure, Travel and Tourism gives you a broad knowledge and understanding of the leisure, travel and tourism industry in Northern Ireland, and how as a nation we are providing prosperity to the UK economy. Studying Leisure, Travel and Tourism, you will also develop expertise and experiences into related sectors such as business, retail and distribution, hospitality and catering. I would request that you consider the following questions, do you:
- Want to undertake a subject that is active and enjoyable?
- Want to undertake a vocational subject which develops skills, which you can implement to an occupation or employment?
- Want to study a subject which employers in the Leisure and Hospitality industries really value?
If you answered ‘Yes’ to any of the above questions, then Leisure and Tourism is for you.
Those pupils selecting GCSE Leisure and Tourism will deconstruct the growing Leisure and Tourism industry. Numerous skills will be gained including; working with others, self-managing information, time management and ICT.
We follow the CCEA Leisure and Tourism specification, studying:
- Unit 1: Understanding the Leisure, Travel and Tourism Industry (40% External Examination)
- Unit 2: Promoting and Sustaining the Leisure, Travel and Tourism Industry (40% External Examination)
- Unit 3: Working in the Leisure, Travel and Tourism Industry (20% Controlled Assessment)
Studying Leisure and Tourism will develop a range of employability skills that students can implement into one of the fastest growing industries in the Northern Ireland economy.
These transferable skills can lead onto studying in further or higher education in a range of areas and potential careers such as:
- Hotel Management
- Events Management
- Hospitality Management
- Restaurant Management
- Travel Consultants
- Conference Organisers
- Tourist Guides
- Leisure Assistants
- Park Rangers
- Fitness Instructors
- Air Cabin Crew
- Resort Representatives